Year 5 2023 - 2024
Message from Mrs Jarvis:
This half term we will contiune learning about WWII in out topic lessons and going on our trip to the Stockport shelters.
Friday 8th March World Book Day
Thursday 17th March Year 5 and 6 Trip to Stockport Shelters
Tuesday 19th/Thursday 21st/ Friday 22nd March Year 5 and 6 trips to Holy Trinity Easter experience.
Our current Christian value is:
In English our theme will be ... The Tear Thief
In English this half term we will be using the text ‘The Tear Thief’ by Carol Anne Duffy
Non Chronological Reports
Year 5 Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation
In Year 5 we are reading: Letters from the Lighthouse by Emma Carroll
In Maths we follow Power Maths. We will be learning…
- Multiplying by integers
- Fractions of amounts
- Using fractions as operators
Decimals and Percentages:
- Decimal place value
- Equivalent fractions and decimals
- Compare and order decimals
- Rounding to nearest whole number and one decimal place
- Percentages as fractions and decimals
- Equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages
History: World War II (How did it affect people in our local area?)
Art and Design: Cross Stitch
PE: Swimming and Volleyball
Science: Living Things and their habitats
ICT: Purple Mash Game Creator
Music: Ukuleles with Mrs Ashton
RE: Understanding Christianity: People of God
PSHE: Don't rub it in, rub it out
Swimming kit will be needed on a Wednesday for Year 5. (One piece swimming costume for girls, or swimming shorts above the knee for boys)
Indoor kit will be needed by all children on Friday for their session with sports coach.
Football tops or other non-uniform items will not be allowed.
Please note PE kit can be left in school for the half term. It is important that children have their PE kit ready for lessons.
Spelling: Children will be set spellings on a Friday to be tested the following Friday.
Homework: Homework will be set on a Friday and is due in on Wednesday. English and Maths will be set on alternate weeks.
Reading: Please listen to your child read at home and sign their Reading Record. We would like children to read at home at least 3x per week. Reading Records will be checked every week on a Tuesday
School Uniform Expectations
The school uniform is compulsory for all children and it is important that children
come to school in the correct school uniform. The uniform consists of the following:
- Green sweatshirt or cardigan with school logo
- Yellow (plain) polo shirt
- Grey/black skirt or pinafore or grey/black trousers.
- Plain low heeled black shoes. No trainers/canvas footwear.
- For indoor P.E. kit, Black P.E. pumps, black shorts and yellow (plain) t-shirt
- For outdoor P.E. jogging bottoms, trainers and sweatshirt are required in addition to the indoor PE kit.
- During the summer green or yellow gingham dresses can be worn.
- During the summer grey or black shorts can be worn, not football shorts.
- White, grey or black socks must be worn. Grey or black tights may be worn in winter.
- It is not acceptable for children to come to school with dyed hair or inappropriate styles.
- No nail varnish.
- No jewellery should be worn, except for a small watch (N.B. smart watches are not allowed in school and also earrings are not allowed to be worn in school)
- The school uniform can be purchased online from myclothing.com
- All clothes and belongings must be clearly marked with your child’s name. The school cannot be held responsible for items of uniform which go missing, especially if they have not been labelled. There is a lost property box in reception and all items of uniform which are not labelled can be found there.
- We do however; empty this box termly and any items not collected will be disposed of.
- Mobile phones are not allowed in school. The school cannot be held responsible for the loss or damage of mobile phones.
We thank you for your support with following the school uniform expectations of St Paul’s CE Primary.
Files to Download
Year 5: News items
Children's Mental Health Week and Safer Internet Day, by Mr Wright
Freddy Fit Friday 12th January, by Mr Wright
May we wish you all a peaceful and happy Christmas, by Mr Wright
Year 5: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display