Click on the link above to find out more about the Tameside Young Carers Project
Who can access the Young Carers Project?
- Helping someone get around the house – lifting them up, helping them up or down stairs or helping with physiotherapy.
- Helping someone look after themselves – dressing, washing and going to the toilet or in and out of the bath.
- Helping with medication – giving tablets or injections or counting medication.
- Housework – doing all or most of the cooking, cleaning or shopping.
- Looking after the money – paying the bills or collecting benefits/Money.
- Looking after brothers and sisters – putting them to bed, walking them to school or supporting emotionally.
- Emotional support – keeping someone calm, or just having to be there to make sure they are OK.
- Supporting at medical appointments.
- Interpreting for someone with a hearing or speech problem or someone who doesn’t speak English.
Who can refer a young person to the Young Carer Project:
- Self-referral from parent, school, other professionals. (Consent needs to be gained from the parent before a referral can be sent) Young Carers Referral Form 2019
- All young people are eligible for a young carer assessment if a family member or professional feel that they could meet the criteria for support.
Young Carer Assessment:
- The young carer assessment is carried out with the young person ideally at school but can be completed at the family home.
- The assessment is questions to establish the level of caring responsibilities a young person has and to see if they meet the threshold to qualify for the Young Carer Project.
- Once the assessment is completed an additional visit to the family is needed to complete all paperwork and to explain how the service can support the family and young carer.
The Young Carers offer in Tameside aims to provide inclusion for all regardless of culture, gender or disability etc. We recognise how important the role of is, and how difficult that role can be.
The Young Carers Team offers a variety of services to Young Carers with SEND including group and one to one work/support.